The position serves as the main technical resource and coordinator for custom manufactured optomechanics, which are based on our standard optomech portfolio. This involves working with tech support and OEM sales to determine the specifications for the custom part, quoting, creating designs, drawings, and other supporting documents, coordinating production, assembly, inspection, and supporting the customer. Secondary duties will include projects that involve costing, optimization of assembly, and engineering support of OEM sales. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal and specifications to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Determines pricing
- Designs the optomech component or optomechanical system.
- Plans/directs/participates in fabrication & assembly.
- Ensures products conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
- Supports the customer
- Minimum 3 years of experience in mechanical engineering design.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge on SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.