This position is responsible for the accurate and timely completion of the design and documentation of packaging. This position: may require little or no direction from Project Managers, and management; makes determinations on materials and overall design integrity; works in a team environment and facilitates data management and communication. This is a position that requires the ability to meet or exceed expectations within given time frames. The incumbent will be responsible for leading and championing directives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Designs product packaging to ensure product integrity and appeal under varying shipping and display conditions.
· Responsible for cost improvements of current packaging.
· Designs new product packaging, concurrently with product development teams, to meet launch dates.
· Ability to design, with little direction from management, Project Managers or more senior positions, complete packaging that meets form, fit, and function requirements per applicable company and/or industry standards.
· Participate in prototype builds to assure design feasibility and manufacturability
· Brainstorm, problem-solve and proactively create innovative solutions to provide continuous improvements and value engineering.
· Plan, lead, attend and contribute to multidisciplinary team meetings.
· Outsource and reviews tests, analyzes, and selects materials for packaging based on durability and cost effectiveness.
· Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures such as ISTA standards.
· Improves and writes work instructions and guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
· Provides a focal point for packaging within the company and value chain.
· Seeks out new technology to improve efficiency.
· Works with internal and external resources, engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, quality, and suppliers to develop and maintain packaging integrity and customer satisfaction.
· Reviews returned or damaged items to determine root cause of damage and corrective actions.
· Promotes effective cross-functional teamwork with the ability to delegate responsibilities upon management’s approval.
· Performs other assigned duties.
· Work well under pressure while maintaining good judgment, communications and organizational skills.
· Must be able to accept and manage change and adversity.
· Balance a workload comprised of multiple projects and assignments without missing timelines.
· Must possess a sense of urgency and be laser focused on delivering results with the ability to foresee and work through roadblocks.
· Must be comfortable leading projects while assisting with others.
· Must be a confident self-starter that is motivated, creative, and flexible.
· Must be able to work with little or no direction autonomously and in a team environment.
· Comfortable facilitating communications to all levels of the organization.
· Bachelor of Science in Packaging Engineering or similar packaging or related degree.
· Must have at least 5-10 years of experience with packaging in an engineering or manufacturing environment.