|The Field Service Engineer position provides technical support primarily to Industrial Aftermarket (AM) customers as well as Industrial Original Equipment (OE) customers as needed. The FSE will provide hands on support for our customers by assisting in bearing installation, inspection, maintenance training, field failure analysis, and problem resolution. This person will be the first on-site responder to customer complaints and quality concerns and will work cross-functionally with the Application Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Material Control, Business Management and Sales departments to achieve resolution. |
Ideal candidate will have excellent mechanical aptitude with a good understanding of rotating machine dynamics in a wide variety of industries. He or she should also have experience with condition monitoring and quality systems. Candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills. This position requires fairly extensive travel.
|Essential Duties and Accountabilities: |
|• Visit customers to assist in bearing installation, inspection of bearings, conduct failure analysis in the field, respond to customer concerns and quality complaints. |
• Conduct training seminars for customers, end users and company staff.
• Complete detailed customer visit reports with actionable items within required time constraints, building customer rapport based on excellence, responsiveness and support.
• Develop installation and maintenance instructions, Technical Instruction Sheets and SOP’s.
• Analyze customer warranty returns and report findings, as necessary.
• Coordinate with cross functional team on quality concerns on product containment, scope definition, sorting directions, sort monitoring, root cause analysis, team problem solving, corrective/preventative actions, internal/external reporting and material disposition.
• As applicable assist the quality department in conducting supplier quality audits and in maintaining supplier quality.
|Supervisory Responsibilities: |
|• This position has no supervisory responsibilities. |
|Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: |
|• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. |
• In depth knowledge of ball, roller and needle bearing technology, applications and their modes of failure.
• Solid computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work from a home based office.
• Ability to use 8D Problem Solving approach or similar customer requirement.
• Able to read and interpret Engineering Drawings with knowledge of GD&T.
• Understanding of basic gage calibration and traceability approach.
• Knowledge of various inspection techniques and their limitations (dimensional, noise/vibration, surface finish, hardness, torque, etc,).
• Understanding of TS16949, QS9000 and AS9100 Quality System Requirements.
• Knowledge of Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) techniques.
• Knowledge to develop or review a PPAP package complaint with current AIAG publication.
• Good multitasking capabilities along with proficiency in time and project management skills.
|Education and Experience: |
|• BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology with 5 or more years of experience in bearing engineering, manufacturing and/or quality or Field Service. |
• Associates degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology with 7-10 year’s experience.
|Work Environment/Physical Demands: |
|The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. |
|• Sit with intermittent walking |
• Manual dexterity for such duties as stapling, collating, sorting, filing, typing, and writing
• Communicate (hearing and speech) with individuals in person and by phone
• Maintain a minimum of 8 hours worked/day, 5 days/week.
• Periodic field work required at customer(s) location.
• Fairly extensive travel required.
|Employee may perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned. |